By ‘Scoop’ – Cricket Correspondent

Two outrights and a nine wickets down draw in the Waimate vs Timaru match would have advocates of the new rules happy after the first round of the Tweedy Cup. Celtic who were best placed for victory at the start of the day eventually dismissed Geraldine for 181 still 26 runs short of having to bat again, while a good comeback by Temuka on day two meant Star required 107 runs to win in their second bat, eventually getting home comfortably with six wickets in hand.

Geraldine started the day looking to try and bat the whole 90 overs but at 36-4 it looked like everyone would get out of the cold conditions early and Celtic might not need to supply afternoon tea. A nature stop meant a slight change of batting order as Geraldine captain Matt Barnes demoted himself to number 6, but he soon showed that this was what was needed as he and Guy Metcalf (the Speights Ale House player of the month for October) added 43 runs in partnership.

It was Barnes who was in control though as he showed his class with a wide array of hooks, drives, pulls and leg glances. He added another 42 runs with Harry Miller and brought up his fifty which included 9 boundaries in good time and looked so at ease that Celtic resorted to giving him the single so that they could attack the other batsman.

Together with ring-in Tim Saywell they added another 30 runs, as players and spectators alike were treated to some unorthodox but effective shot making from Saywell, before Dan Laming again made the breakthrough on his way to 4 wickets.

With only No’s 10 and 11 to partner him Barnes began to increase his shot making in quest of a century, but the last two batsmen were dismissed lbw before he could, leaving him unbeaten with a superb 88 when the Geraldine innings finished.

Waimate who were eight down overnight and still 40 runs short of a first innings lead put up a good rearguard with young Finlay Keen making 21 not out but they ended up 13 runs short on 143 when the compulsory declaration was made after 50 overs.

Timaru made a good fist of their second bat with opener Gerald Piddock leading the way with 40 and handy contributions by Grant Brookland (33) and Hitesh Angrish (35 not out) to be able to declare at 177-7 leaving Waimate 190 to win from 43 overs.

Waimate were never in the hunt with only two batsmen making double figures and in the end Alan Reid who faced 51 balls for his 6 runs and had to face the last over with the whole Timaru team crowding around the bat as they strived to get the last wicket and outright victory, held on to see Waimate finish at 69-9 and save a draw. For Timaru the class of Angrish showed as he took 5-19 in a great display of off-spin bowling and Timaru will hope he is available a lot more this season.

Star were on top after day one with Temuka four wickets down already in their second innings and still 32 runs behind, but a week is a long time and the remaining Temuka batsmen settled in to make it as hard as possibly for Star as led by Kevin Teahen with 46 and supported by Johnny Geddis (25) and Hayden Broker unbeaten on 23 they put up a much better effort to score 177 and leave Star some work to do chasing 107.

Captain Phil McGregor finally found some form as he scored 46 before being run out, but with Hamish Dickson scoring 38 not out, it was a matter of time before they won, achieving this in the 36th over.


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This