Celtic celebrate Tweedy Cup win 2013-14

WINNERS ARE GRINNERS: The celtic senior cricket team with the Tweedy Cup after an eight-wicket win over Timaru in the two-day final at Aorangi Oval yesterday. Back row, from left, James Blackstock, Ben Watson, Tom Pavletich, Nick Cahill, Phil Johnston, Andy Scott. Front row, from left, Dan Laming, Jake Naylor, Brad Gilbert, Jimmy Laming (capt) and Sam Carlaw.

A stirring second day of swing bowling from the Laming brothers secured Celtic the Tweedy Cup two-day cricket final yesterday.

Dan and Jimmy Laming took seven for 40 between them as Timaru were rolled for 94 in its second innings.

Celtic chased down the 70 runs for victory with eight wickets to spare inside 12 overs.

After an even first day at Aorangi Oval, on Saturday, where Timaru scrambled to 213 for nine on the back of Zane Sanders’ 71 and then had the defending champions 176 for seven at stumps, it unravelled for the underdogs on day two.

The pace bowlers were unable to find the early wickets needed and Celtic earned first innings points and were all out for 238 after most of its top order made starts.

A mixture of poor shots and accurate bowling then saw Timaru capitulate with the bat when the game was still in the balance.

After winning the toss and electing to bat on day one, Timaru were soon on the back-foot at 40 for four as it’s top-order failed to fire yet again late in the season.

Dan Laming removed both openers with just 14 on the board.

His nagging line, away swing and change of angles on the delivery crease helped him to three for 57.

A 60-run sixth wicket stand between Sanders and Michael King (26) got Timaru back on track.

Sanders showed patience and poise that his fellow top-order team-mates failed to do.

Some lusty hitting from No 10 Jeremy Smallridge (36 not out), including two sixes, got Timaru over the 200 before the compulsory 60-over declaration.

Celtic had six batsmen get over 20 but Dan Laming’s 39 was the best they could muster.

The regular wickets also kept Timaru in the hunt of gaining the advantage on the first innings.

With three wickets needed for Timaru and 38 runs needed for Celtic at the start of day two, it was Celtic’s nerves that held out as they pressed on to earn a 25-run first innings advantage.

Timaru opening bowler Brad Leonard took four for 51.

Timaru plotted a big second innings response but the Laming brothers soon had the majority of the top-order back in the pavilion.

At 43 for five, the match was in Celtic’s command.

Jimmy Laming finished with four for 12, while Dan’s three for 28 saw him cap a fine all-round game.

Celtic wasted little time after tea smashing its way to the runs as Timaru waved the white flag of surrender furiously.

It was fitting both Laming brothers were at the crease as the winning runs were hit.


Below are some more random shots from the final – thanks to HL Photoz (the rough ones are from my phone)


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This